Funny how the day to day creeps up and takes hold of your existence. How paths cross and grow not because of what you do, but because of where you are at, what you have to get done. As of this recent week...i am feeling the stress of taking 18 hours as a graduate student, teaching 4 classes for the university and trying to have time for myself. I often wonder what i miss in my day to day existence because of the time crunch and scheduling conflicts. What gifts have I overlooked and how have i been neglectful of gods grace in my life. I wanted to spend more time listening this fall ..and find my place with a more established relationship with my god than i have had in the past. A relationship that calls me to a deeper more revealing conversations. But what i have found is the frustration of being consumed by my humanness.
While my spiritual struggles often take hold of my limited spare time...I am finding much success within my education endeavors. Gods path for me is really being paved before me. that my success in the classroom and the acknowledgement from my professors has confirmed that I have chosen a great program and I am finding great joy in becoming an educator.
For those of you who read this....and I am not sure who does....or if anyone does...I have a opportunity that needs some prayer. My advisor has approached me with the opportunity to teach in a outpatient facility for at risk youth. These young men have all been mandated by the courts system to a program that is in Walton county. They are looking for someone to come in about 3 hours a week and work with these kids in a physical education setting. The opportunity for me is to use a teaching model call "teaching personal and social responsibility (TPSR)". It was created by a man named Don Hellison. The model uses sport and physical activity as mode to teach personal and social responsibility. You could think of it as "empowering sport".
Many of you know that I spent my year of volunteer service teaching at risk youth in a classroom setting. So i have experience with this demographic...but...not in a Physical educational setting. I have lots of questions to ask the program director...and well..lets just say...I am excited about the possibilities and the learning curve. This is still in the "conversation stage"...but has some great possibilities. Obviously i am nervous about adding another item to my duties, but i don't want to say no to such a great opportunity.
well I guess i have said enough...
No comments:
Post a Comment